Friday, November 23, 2012

Week 10 Reflection

This week the big project was building our bridges.  We worked on them all week and then we showed them to the class on monday and tuesday.  There were many different looking bridges that ranged from large and bulky that weighed alot, to the simple lightweight designs.  I know that we had to get the best ratio from the weight of our bridge to how much it could hold. 

Building my bridge wasn't too hard.  I came up with the design in my head and then made a bridge out of it.  I made almost a floor of spaghetti and taped them all together and then made another "floor" spaghetti and taped them together to make the base of the bridge.  I put a brace under the bridge to distribute the weight.  I also used braces that go on the sides to distribute the weight even more.  They were triangle patterns that touched at certain points on the bridge.

I thought my bridge did alot better than what I expected.  It held alot more weight than I thought it was going to hold.  I forgot how much it actually held but it didn't break until the blocks were stacked pretty high.  Plus, the bottom didn't break, the blocks all fell off.

Overall, I liked the bridge project.  It was a good way to put what we were learning into action.  The only regret that I have is that I wish that I had built my bridge stronger and more sturdy so it could support more weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment